Moving Into Tamarisk NorthShore During a Pandemic
The health and safety of residents, guests, and employees is important to Tamarisk NorthShore and CJE SeniorLife. As an independent living building, and not a licensed assisted living or skilled nursing community, we are not required to follow a specific Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) guidelines. However, we recognize that our residents are considered an at-risk population and we want to take measures to help protect our community. To the best of our ability, upon opening in August 2020, we will operate Tamarisk NorthShore utilizing the following strategies, recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other health care organizations, to reduce the likelihood of introduction or spread of COVID-19. These strategies are subject to change depending on the evolving situation, new information provided by local, state and federal health authorities and the approval of a vaccine.
The mission of CJE SeniorLife is to enhance the quality of life and facilitate the independence of older adults. In all our buildings, the health and welfare of our residents is our number one priority.
We will evaluate operational decisions on an ongoing basis during a pandemic utilizing CJE’s enduring values of respect, compassion, innovation, intention and accountability in order to balance each resident’s desire for independence while taking appropriate and reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of a contagious disease. Please note that we cannot guarantee, even with following appropriate and reasonable precautions, that you will not contract any disease.
Additionally, Tamarisk NorthShore and CJE Management Teams are requiring approved vendors (e.g., Paxem Moving Services, Teddie Kossof Salon, Gentle Home Services) to present their pandemic responses and plans to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 prior to working with our clients, residents, employees, or volunteers. These plans will need to meet or exceed Tamarisk NorthShore’s and CJE SeniorLife’s expectations for mitigation.
What We Can Do to Prevent the Spread
- Wearing masks will be required in common areas throughout our community for residents, guests, employees and vendors. Our Concierge Desk will have masks available in case anyone needs one. In private apartments, it is recommended (but not required) that residents from different households follow the mask and physical distancing guidelines put forth by the Centers for Disease Control, summarized in this document.
- Physical distancing in common areas—keeping six feet or more apart from residents in different households.
- Frequent handwashing is recommended as is the regular use of hand sanitizer located in stations throughout the community.
- Life enrichment activities will take place in common areas with proper physical distancing and masks, depending upon the number of people in each room at the same time (details TBD). This includes the fitness areas and the pool.
- Hair salon and spa services will be available, with proper physical distancing and the wearing of masks. We may need to limit the number of people using services at the same time. These high-touch areas will have frequent disinfecting schedules (TBD by the provider of services).
- Dining Services will be available in dining areas with proper physical distancing (alternate tables so there is proper spacing). Masks will be required except while eating/drinking.
- Scheduled transportation will be available utilizing Tamarisk vehicles, with reduced capacity on each trip.
- If a resident prefers to dine in their apartment, complimentary delivery of meals is available.
- We will clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces several times daily, and as needed, within the community by a dedicated housekeeper for common area.
- Guests may visit residents but are limited to five at a time (not large groups).
COVID-19 testing of employees will be handled by Weinberg Community’s nursing staff at least once before opening and periodically as needed, with results available within 48 hours.
- Employees will be required to stay home if they are sick, have a fever, or if they have tested positive for COVID-19.
- All new residents should work with their primary care physician or a facility like CVS or Walgreens to be tested for COVID-19 no more than one week prior to moving in. If they test positive, they will not be able to move in until they test negative. This includes people moving from out-of-state.
- Current residents will be asked to notify Tamarisk management if they have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and/or have tested positive after moving in. For the continued good health of the overall community, Tamarisk will request that these residents quarantine in their apartments until they test negative. The names of these residents will not be shared with other residents by Tamarisk management unless a resident gives his/her permission to do so.
For more details, contact the Tamarisk NorthShore Management Team at 847.597.8772.